Wednesday, September 17, 2014

U.F.O

The craft kind, not the babble kind!! Though, that would be a good topic one day....

Anyway, the craft kind.  I've been trying to get myself properly organized.  The ongoing battle.  I guess, while I was working at the yarn store, I was very tempted to stock up on yarn -- Didn't just buy yarn for no reason, I at least tried to only buy for patterns I wanted to make.

Still, though - I did get a lot of yarn in that time, and I did start a lot of projects.  And, of course, there were the projects from before I started working, and the ones since...  and the UFO's.  Which, in this case, stands for UnFinished Objects.  I have rather a lot...

I am trying now to curb the new projects, and to get the old ones going. Exceptions, of course, for baby gifts that come up.

I was going through some of the boxes of stash last year, and came across a hat I was knitting for myself. It was one of those easy things, that was a portable project.  So, I figured, let's see where this is up to, and finish it. Well, imagine my surprise to discover that the only thing still to do was to weave in the ends!!  I did, and wore it all last winter.

Yesterday, I was putting away what was left of a big ball of cotton after making a couple of dishcloths, and noticed a part finished crochet dishcloth.  I wondered why I didn't finish it - pulled it out of the box (and may have undone a stitch or two) and looked -- It was pretty much finished, maybe needed another row or two.  I couldn't understand why I abandoned that one!  I mean, it was even closer to being done than the hat!  So, last night, I did another two rows, then decided to give it a reverse single crochet edging.  Normally, I don't edge dishcloths. But, this one was a bit smaller than I usually would have made, and it turned out that I had constructed it a little different than usual.  Usually, for the pattern, I make a base chain about as wide as I feel like with an odd number of chains.  Then, I do a row of single crochet into the chain, then go into a pattern, then finish with a row of single crochet. This creates a "frame".  So, I don't recall if the cloth I found was an early effort with this pattern, or if it was an experiment, or what was going on!

That is Ashleigh's butt, by the way.  

The pattern is quite simple, really.  Here it is for you!
~~~~~~~~~~

Simple Crochet Dishcloth


1 50g ball Dishcloth Cotton (Bernat Handicrafter Cotton used in sample)
G-6/ 4.25 mm Crochet Hook
Darning needle.

Finished size: 7" X 7" (gauge and size not crucial)

Base chain: 35 sts + 1 turning chain.

Row 1. Single crochet (sc) in second chain from hook, *skip next chain (ch), ch 1,  sc in next ch.  Repeat from * to end of beginning ch.  Ch 1, turn.

Row 2. Sc in first sc, sc in ch space from previous row, *ch 1, skip next sc, sc in next space. Repeat from * to last sc, make sc in last sc. Ch 1, turn.

Row 3. Sc in first sc, *ch 1, skip next sc, sc in next space. Repeat from * to  last sc, make sc in last sc.  Ch 1, turn.

Repeat rows 2 and 3 until there are 33 rows in total, or until the cloth is square.  Make a turning chain, but do not turn. Working reverse single crochet (rsc), make one rsc in each stitch or space across the row.  Working down the side, make one rsc in the end stitch of each row. Working across the starting chain, make one rsc in each stitch or space.  Working along the side, make one rsc in the end stitch of each row.   Cut yarn, leaving a 6 or 8 inch tail.  Thread the tail through a darning needle, then weave through the first reverse single crochet stitch, then through the loop of the last reverse single crochet stitch.  Pull tight.  Weave in ends.

Alternate method:   Single crochet in each base chain, then proceed with rows 2 and 3 until desired size is reached, make one row single crochet in each stitch and chain, finish off, cut yarn and weave in ends.

Note: Picture in pattern is turned sideways.
~~~~~~~~~~

Hope you enjoy the pattern!  Make as many as you want, keep them, gift them, sell them - but please, don't copy and paste my written instructions or picture anywhere else! If you want to share the pattern, share the link to this blog post please.  If you want to share it with someone who doesn't have internet access/computer, please do me the courtesy of popping me a quick message - copyright applies to sharing the pattern WITHOUT PERMISSION.  I'm usually pretty easy to get along with!

No comments:

Post a Comment